Duxbury Braille Translator
The industry leading multi-platform, multi-language braille
Return to Braille
What does our software for braille look like?
Whether you are blind or sighted, our software comes up as a
standard modern application, fully accessible AND fully in tune with the
latest advances in operating systems and sister applications.
The menus and screens in DBT for Macintosh and DBT for MS-DOS
are essentially the same as DBT Win, apart from differences inherent to the
operating systems. The files are COMPLETELY compatible across platforms! You
only need to know one DBT!
What does software for braille do?
Most people understand the basics about braille: that it
provides a reading medium for blind people, using "cells" made up of raised
dots in various patterns instead of the characters used in regular print. But
many people do not realize that the cells-for-characters substitutions are
not, typically, on a one-for-one basis. The process is especially complicated
in languages such as English and French where "grade 2" braille is used,
involving "contractions" that are based in part upon pronunciation. Formatting
of braille pages also involves issues beyond those affecting print. DBT
provides translation and formatting facilities to automate the
process of conversion from regular print to braille (and vice versa), and also
provides word-processing facilities for working directly in the braille
as well as the print. "Fonts" are used for displaying the braille.
Who uses software for braille?
Our software is designed for two types--those who don't know
braille and those who do. Even if all the braille you know was learned from
the previous paragraph, the Duxbury Braille Translator (DBT) will allow you to
create highly accurate braille for school books and teaching materials, office
memos, bus schedules, personal letters, signs compliant with the Americans
with Disabilities Act (ADA) and more. Where you need to be sure of
"perfection," we would certainly recommend that you also make use of
proofreading (just as you would proofread print books) by a knowledgeable
braillist--who may be using DBT as well. That is because DBT is just as
important to professional transcribers--for swift conversion to braille from a
wide variety of print sources.
Notable Features of DBT
DBT is simple to use--beginners learn in just minutes. Yet
its depth, power and accuracy are such that it is used by most of the major
braille production centers throughout the world. The current version (10;2 or
later) provides the following at no extra charge:
- Built-in interline printing (see sample above) to have ink-braille and
print together. This makes an easy proofing and teaching tool. Great for the
- American Math/Science Code (Nemeth) translation
- Intermediate levels (between grade 1 and 2) for American braille
- The ability to include tactile graphics files for mixed text-and-graphic
- Separate versions for Windows, DOS and Mac.
- Identical file formats for each version of DBT. That means a file
prepared on any platform can be used on any other!
- Imports from popular word processors including Microsoft Word and
WordPerfect, HTML, ICADD, formatted and plain ASCII, earlier braille editors
such as EDGAR and Polkadot, and Duxbury's own historical file formats, and
- The current (February 2000) translation table menu includes eighteen
major languages plus seven variations, including grade 2 support for most
jurisdictions where grade 2 is customarily used. Moreover, DBT allows
languages other than the principal language to be embedded in the same file
and treated as appropriate for the context. (Contact us if you have
questions about a specific language.) Now braille for foreign-language texts
and language teaching texts is a snap.
- Bidirectional (print-to-braille and braille-to-print) translation
- American Computer Braille Code (CBC) translation
- American textbook layout according to Braille Authority of North America
(BANA) standards, and likewise the Braille Authority of the United Kingdom (BAUK)
customs for the same purpose
- Accurate presentation of both print or braille in either WYSIWYG
(what-you-see-is-what-you-get) or coded (how-you-get-what-you-want) views in
the word-processing screen, with easy switching between views
- A "translated line" showing the "other" form in either print or braille
- Six-key chording for braille and print entry, not timing-based,
compatible with most keyboards
- Help screens throughout the program
- Documentation in print, braille & electronic formats
- Over 100 formatting & translation codes for a high level of flexibility
- A library of user-configurable styles
- A user-extendable template library for even more flexibility
- A spell-checker with 300,000-word dictionary
- A "Quick Find Misspelling" feature for increased speed and ease of use
- Embossing to all major braille printers; the first page may be a
"banner" for job identification by personnel who don't read braille
- The Duxbury Braille Font for viewing braille dots within other programs
- Choice of single-user, site & other licenses
- The ability to process files as large as the operating system allows
- The ability to have multiple files open simultaneously
- Unlimited technical support by telephone, e-mail, fax, etc.
- An Internet user forum to communicate with other Duxbury users
- All backed by a 90-day satisfaction guarantee!
Duxbury Product List
DBT Win / DBT for Windows:
The standard for the highest quality braille translation
software. A true Windows application--no more living with the limitations and
problems of a DOS program under Windows! Combines all the benefits of Windows
with the features previously listed and more. System Requirements: 8
Mb available hard drive space; Microsoft Windows version 95, 98, NT, or 3.1x
DBT DOS / DBT for MS-DOS:
This version has been brought forward to include the new
Nemeth translation and direct MS Word import, and more, even as it still
supports the traditional as well as the newer ways of using DBT! See features
above. System Requirements: 386, 486, Pentium or better CPU (486/66 or
faster recommended); 2 Mb RAM, 6 Mb available hard drive space; MS-DOS version
5.0 or higher, or equivalent operating system
DBT DUAL: DBT Win/DOS Bundle:
This combines DBT Win and DBT DOS into a single license.
DBT Win/MegaDots Bundle:
This combines DBT Win and MegaDots into a single license.
DBT Mac / DBT for the Apple Macintosh:
This version has been completely updated; see the
features section. System Requirements:
Macintosh Plus or newer, including the Power Mac System 7.0 or later; 6 Mb
hard drive space, 2 Mb RAM.